‘For those who really know their traditional music, the Mulcahy Family must rank as one of the most impressive musical families in Ireland today.’ – Martin Hayes, from the sleevenotes of Reelin’ in Tradition
Following their outstanding 2005 recording Notes from the Heart on the Cló Iar-Chonnachta label, Mick Mulcahy and his daughters Louise (26) and Michelle (24) are back with a new album, Reelin’ in Tradition. If their first album was a revelation for the rhythmic and beautiful Mulcahy sound – as well as the virtuosity across several instruments of Michelle and Louise – Reelin’ in Tradition presents a new level of musicianship exploring their collective repertoire.
Mick, Louise and Michelle Mulcahy regularly perform in Ireland the USA and have an unmistakeable, infectious sound. As Martin Hayes writes, ‘I first became familiar with the music of Mick Mulcahy from his first solo recording... I remember that both my father and I felt that his music had a great depth of feeling. That same feeling that first made an impression on me has been handed on to his daughters and continues all the way through this recording.'
1) Mullingar Races / Coen's Memories / Jim Donoghue's
2) Munster Buttermilk / The Sheep in the Boat / Charlie Mulvihill's
3) The Pullet / The Boys of Portaferry / The Dunmore Lassies
4) Captain Moonlight's Army / Tom Billy Murphy's / Johnny O'Leary's
5) Happy to Meet Sorry to Part / Martin Hardiman's
6) Down the Broom / The Bush in Bloom
7) James McMahon's / The Fairhaired Boy / John McKenna's
8) Devanney's Goat / The Flax in Bloom
9) Hughie Travers / What Would I Do if the Kettle Boiled Over?
10) The Home Ruler / Jerry Daly's
11) Mountains of Pomeroy
12) Mick O'Connor's / McDonagh's / McCabe's
13) Kitty Lie Over / Connie the Soldier
14) The Sailor's Jacket / Wexford Lasses
15) Jerry Holland's / Humours of Rahey / Paddy Conneely's
16) Maids of Castlebar / Toss the Feathers / Lucy Campbell