Glasgow, Scotland. It’s the World Pipe Band Championships -- 8000 musicians from 16 countries. All on one day.
In 2008 a new group joins the battle of the bands. Calling themselves The Spirit of Scotland, the world’s top solo players have come together for the first time to attempt the impossible: compete against legendary bands that have been around for decades. What are their chances after just six days of practice? Will they even qualify?
In the end, all that matters is what happens on the day.
John MacDonald's film follows Pipe Major Roddy MacLeod and Lead Drummer John Fisher as they prepare the band. There are interviews with some of the leading pipers involved and background biographies on a number of the top pipers who joined this effort. The trailer at the foot of this page gives a feel of this wonderful film.
This 3 Discs Collector's Set includes the movie "On The Day" plus special features including all the BBC footage of the band recorded at the Worlds. The multi angle feature allows you to choose which camera you watch the performances from. There are also concert and other performances by members of the band and practice materials used in preparation for the World Championship.
The third disc is an audio CD with new tracks recorded by members of the band.
This disc set is NTSC All Region and also includes a 28 photo filled booklet about the band and the film, a 12 page booklet on the CD (which will fit a jewel case if you decide to house your CD away from the DVDs) and a panoramic mini poster of the band.
Disc 1 (DVD):-
Full director’s cut DVD of the feature documentary
Disc 2- Special Features (DVD)
The Worlds - Different View
MSR Final with BBC Commentary (Bob Worrall)
Medley Final with BBC Commentary (Bob Worrall)
MSR Final (4 different camera angles)
Medley Final (6 different camera angles)
Piobaireachd by Eaun MacCrimmon on the Isle of Skye
Band Members at the Mastery of Scottish Arts Concert in the Seattle
Four band members plus Murray Henderson, Bruce Gandy and Stuart Liddell
Roddy MacLeod playing for dancing
Roddy MacLeod, Euan MacCrimmon and Niall Matheson playing for dancing
Stuart Samson, MBE at the Basel Tattoo in Switzerland
Busking on the Streets of Glasgow
Video tutorial of Roddy MacLeod’s Practice Recordings with sheet music
Roddy’s home practice of the band’s medley
The Proper Way to Tie a Necktie” with Alasdair Gillies
Disc 3 (CD):-
1) Roddy MacLeod The Clan MacColl / Lady Loudon / Traditional Reel
2) Niall Stewart Andrew M. Stewart / Mrs. Rae MacEachern
3) Alasdair Gillies Lady Madelina Sinclair / Mrs. Alex Campbell / Wiseman's Exercise / The Strathspey King / The Reel King / Morning Dew / Rakish Paddy / Kail & Puddings
4) Simon McKerrell Stephanie's Tune
5) Stuart D. Samson Findhorn Bay / The Marchioness of Huntley / The Hill of Garvock / Tweedhope / The Wally Brae / Heart of a Gordon Highlander
6) Iain Spiers The Royal Scottish Pipers' Society / The Edinburgh City Police Pipe Band
7) Colin MacLellan Cabar Feidh / Maggie Cameron / Alec C. MacGregor / Cabar Feidh
8) Matt MacIsaac Boys Of The Lough / Trip to Miriam's
9) Niall Matheson Ceol Macmhathain / Back From The Brink / Good Times
10) Willie McCallum Willie McCallum Senior's March / Colonel MacLean of Ardgour
11) Willie McCallum Lochaber No More
12) Angus MacColl John McDonald of Glencoe / Maggie Cameron / The Rejected Suitor
13) Euan MacCrimmon Oran Mor Mhicleoid / The High Level / Cailleach an Dudain (Old Wife Of The Mill Dust)
14) Alasdair Gillies Drummond Castle Laundry / The Lonach Lassies / Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
15) Simon McKerrell The March Of The Clachnabrochans / Atholl Cummers / Dr. Iain MacAonghais' Jig
16) Jim MMcGillivray The Highland Brigade At Tel-El-Kebir / MacDonald Of The Isles
17) Jim MMcGillivray The Highland Society Of Scotland's Salute
18) Spirit Of Scotland Pipe Band The Blockbuster / Hoss Colquhoun's Favourite / Dr.Iain MacAonghais's Jig / Leaving Friday Harbour / Chur a Gluin Air a Bhodach / The Rusty Gun / Glenlyon / The Thin Man / The Grey Old Lady of Raasay