The Dr. Dan Reid Memorial Invitational Piping Competition was initiated in 1992 to honor the memory of Dr. Dan Reid and his wife Barbara who were killed in a climbing accident in Kenya in 1991. Dan was a member of the St. Andrew's Society of San Francisco and had been the initiator of a committee to formulate a plan to promote the history, playing and knowledge of the Great Highland Bagpipe throughout the United States.
As a result of the competition, a catalog of the finest compositions of the music has been created in audio format. The DRM committee prides itself on bringing to light traditional pieces of music, long hidden from the piping public by their age and lack of publication. By offering these selections, the music, history and sound can be carried into the next generation of traditionalists.
The 2009 disc feature the top three placed pipers Stuart Liddell of Inverary, Scotland, Andrew Hayes of Nepean, Canada and Iain Speirs of Edinburgh, Scotland.
1) Rory MacLoude's Lament (urlar)
2) The Balmoral Highlanders / Donald Cameron / Inverary Castle / The Falls of Forsy / Tom Kettles' Reel / The Eight Men Of Moidart
3) The Blue Lagoon / The Busy Buddy
4) Nameless- Hiharin Odin Hiharin Dro
5) David Ross / Bonnie Anne / Thoughts Of Burns / Dr. J.C. Simpsom / Miss Proud / Mrs. MacPherson Of Inveran
6) The Deerstalker's Jig / Rockley Beach
7) The Stewart's White Banner
8) MacDoughals' Gathering (urlar)
9) The Abercairney Highlanders / Colin Thomson / Lachine Rapids / The Top Of Craigvenow
10) Whatever Moreover / Donald MacLeod